How relevant is the ISP in DNS performance?

Nico De Ranter nico at sonycom.com
Thu Sep 27 14:30:36 UTC 2001

That realy depends on what your ISP offers. In our case the primary DNS
server is managed by us, while the secondary is taken care of by the ISP.

Now, if I'm correct this means all dns queries will arrive on my primary
except if the primary is off-line then the secondary will take over.

Nico

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 10:59:15PM -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> I have a fundamental question about DNS.
>
> Once a given domain has been registered with the Internet
> powers that be, and an ISP (say AT&T) has given us a Class C
> block off their Class A (12.0.0.0), how important is it
> that AT&T servers are configured properly?
>
> If I am downstream from AT&T, will my DNS activity:
>
>  (A) be restricted to my own servers and the servers
>      at the other end (the domains that send me or receive
>      e-mail from me), plus the ROOT-SERVERS, of course.
>
> or
>
>  (B) a lot of the requests to/from my domain are actually processed
>      and passed among AT&T servers, at run time, so to speak.
>
> If (A) is true, a company should only make sure that AT&T does
> the right thing, and doesn't drop the ball at the time the site
> is created and configured.  Once this initialization step is
> over, all the AT&T servers could just be turned off and
> my domain's DNS still works in a speedy fashion.
>
> If (B) is true, then I should very careful when choosing an
> ISP, because not only I have to have fast and reliable name
> servers, but I should also _always_ watch out that my provider
> (AT&T) has fast, reliable and up-to-date servers.
>
> I just got the "DNS & BIND" O'Really book and I guess by the
> time I finish it, I will have a clear answer to my question
> above, but in the meantime, I'd really appreciate any insight
> on this topic, as my network in extremely slow, to the point
> of being unusable.
>
> Thanks for your kind assistance,
>
> -Ramon F. Herrera

 "It has been said that there are only two businesses that
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (SDCE/VPE-B)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: nico.deranter at sonycom.com