Win2k forgets Nameserver?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Sep 24 18:37:52 UTC 2001

At 12:01 PM 9/24/01, Sasso, John   IT wrote:

>Mike,
>
>Not sure about Dan's case, but in our case we have only one DNS nameserver
>that all desktops refer to.

That's a really bad idea.  You should always have at least 2 nameservers and
both be listed in each of the desktops' IP settings. If you lose your single
nameserver, because of disk crash, bad hardware, maintenance, etc. you have
no name resolution at all.

>   It has knowledge of our internal namespace.  In
>the event that name resolution fails on a Win2K desktop, other desktops that
>refer to the same nameserver (Win95, NT, and UNIX desktops) are still able
>to successfully do name resolution.

Are they configured with more than one nameserver?

         Danny