Corrupt serial number

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Fri Sep 21 15:25:38 UTC 2001

%
% Another way to handle a corrupt serial number is this, if you are on
% good speaking terms with your slave sites ;-)
%
% Have the slaves delete or rename their copy of the zone file.  Then
% the slaves will transfer any serial-numbered file that the master has.
% ----------------------------------------------------------------------

This widely used technique -FAILS- with the latest versions of BIND.
What will happen is that a copy of the zone is transfered to -memory-
but is -NOT- written out to a file.  And the logs fill up with messages
about BINDs inability to create the file.

The proposed "fix" is to suppress the logged messages.

The justification is that storing zone data in files is only one method
of storing local copies of the DNS data.  Folks may wish to use any
of a number of relational DB models instead.

I have yet to be able to have my slave server accept and write into its
local db slaved zone data.  But apparently I'm supposed to.

BUGid on request.

--
--bill