DNS-problems or not for ttyl.com?

Eivind Olsen eivind.olsen at ttyl.com
Fri Sep 21 11:18:43 UTC 2001

Hello.

I'm currently looking into a DNS-issue and was hoping that someone could
confirm/deny this issue.

The ttyl.com-zone is hosted on ns.online.no/dns1.eunet.no, where
ns.online.no is the primary/master. And for some reason it doesn't give
authoratitive answers, at least that's my impression:

eivind at susie:~/tmp > dig soa ttyl.com @ns.online.no

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> soa ttyl.com @ns.online.no
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      ttyl.com, type = SOA, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ttyl.com.               1D IN SOA       ns.online.no. hostmaster.nextra.no.
(
                                        2001092101      ; serial
                                        8H              ; refresh
                                        1H              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

;; Total query time: 18 msec
;; FROM: susie to SERVER: ns.online.no  193.212.1.10
;; WHEN: Fri Sep 21 13:15:06 2001
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 26  rcvd: 92

eivind at susie:~/tmp >

There should be an "aa"-flag in the flags-section, shouldn't it? At least I
get that if I query dns1.eunet.no instead (but then I get an older
zonefile).

According to the version on ns.online.no it seems to be running BIND
4.9.8-T1B.

My guess is that someone has somehow managed to mess up the zonefile on
ns.online.no so that it for some reason doesn't give authoratitive answers.
No, I don't have access to the logfiles on that server as it's being run by
another company.

So, anyone think I've misunderstood something here, or could I be on the
right track?

--
Talk To You Later
Eivind Olsen