Non_coperative nameserver

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Sep 20 15:11:11 UTC 2001

In article <9ocmva$pvu at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Bharat Rawat Binwal <bharatrawat_bit at rediffmail.com> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I want to have  a non-coperative nameserver setting for experimental purp=
>oses.As per my knowledge non-coperative nameserver are those nameserver w=
>hich keep the dns query result in their cache according to a value set by=
> them rather than obeying the TTL values for that RR.
>So can anybosy help me in setting  a non-coperative nameserver.

BIND doesn't have any built-in mechanism to ignore the TTL.  I think
there's a compile-time option to configure a maximum TTL, so any TTL above
this will be capped at that amount.  But no way to configure a single TTL
for everything.

BIND is open source, and it should be pretty easy to find the line of code
where it copies the TTL from a response into the cached record, and replace
it with a setting of your choosing.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA