also-notify

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 19 21:29:39 UTC 2001

Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <9oajic$e7t at pub3.rc.vix.com>, nanard <nanard at champax.com> wrote:
> >If i add a section on my master ns:
> >

> >notify yes ;
> >
> >also-notify { IP_of_NS1 ; IP_of_NS2; etc };
> >
> >That means when i will modify any map of this master, each ns in
> >"also-notify" section (IP_of_NS1 ; IP_of_NS2; etc ) will be notified ??
>
> If you put it in the "options" section it will be done for all zones that
> don't have their own "also-notify" statement.  If you put it in a "zone"
> section, it applies to just that zone.
>
> >In fact, i 'd like when i change value in any map on a master, that the
> >slave be notified immediatly.
>
> Then put it in the options section.
>
> Note that you only need "also-notify" for nameservers that aren't listed in
> NS records.  The nameservers listed there are notified automatically.

And BIND 9 has the "explicit" sub-option, which basically just makes it ignore the
NS records altogether. I use this on my "hidden master" server, since the
addresses associated with the NS records are external anyway, and thus (because we
use proxy firewalls) inaccessible from the master server.

- Kevin