Forwarding and internal foreign domain

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Sep 19 19:49:10 UTC 2001

In article <9oarsc$fj4 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Brian Huntley <brian_huntley at my-deja.com> wrote:

>Barry Margolin <barmar at genuity.net> wrote in message
>news:<9oaanj$co2 at pub3.rc.vix.com>...
>> In article <9o9d7k$5mf at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
>> Brian Huntley <brian_huntley at my-deja.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >I've been asked to add a foreign-named domain NS to a local network,
>> >and have 2 questions regarding forwarders.
>> >
>> >we are bar.ca, with zones names such as a.bar.ca, b.bar.ca, etc. This
>> >new zone is to be called foo.com, so I have:
>> >
>> >zone "foo.com" {
>> >        type master;
>> >        file "static/foo.com.db";
>> >};
>> >
>> >The file, in turn, contains
>> >
>> >@ IN SOA myDNS.foo.com. me.bar.ca. ( 1 14400 3600 604800 1200 )
>> >
>> >@             IN NS myDNS.foo.com.
>> >myDNS.foo.com IN A 192.168.1.250 ; my IP
>> >stuff.foo.com IN NS ns1.foo.com.
>> >ns1.foo.com.  IN A 192.168.2.3   ; the other nameserver
>> >

>> >Q1: Do I have to turn off 'forward only' in my named.conf?
>> >Q2: Should I include 192.168.2.3 (ns1.foo.com) in my list of
>> >forwarders?
>>
>> Forwarding is only performed for domains that you're *not* authoritative
>> for.  Since you're the master server for foo.com, you won't be forwarding
>> anything in that domain, so you don't need to change your forwarders
>> settings.
>>
>> The fact that the new zone is in .com rather than .ca is totally
>> irrelevant.  Just put all their DNS entries into foo.com.db, just like you
>> do for all your bar.ca zones.
>
>So even though the actual hosts' DNS entries will be on ns1.foo.com
>(and not on my server) no forwarding takes place?

Correct.  By specifying "type master" you're telling named that all the DNS
entries for the foo.com domain are in the file static/foo.com.db.

If you want to forward for this domain, you should use "type forward":

zone "foo.com" {
  type forward;
  forwarders { 192.168.2.3; };
};

Another option would be to configure your server as a slave:

zone "foo.com" {
  type slave;
  file "static/foo.com.db";
  masters { 192.168.2.3; };