Problems downloading master map from Bind 4.9.3 to 9.1.3

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Sep 18 20:40:38 UTC 2001

In article <9o8alh$tn at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Mark Andrews  <mandrews at aw.sgi.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to setup bind 9.1.3 as a slave for a master running bind
>4.9.3 from SGI. My version of bind 9 has been compiled locally using the

If you must run BIND 4, you should upgrade to 4.9.5 to fix some nasty
security problems.

>default configure script and makefile.
>
>The /etc/named.boot on the master server contains the following entry:
>
>    primary         zone_name                         named.hosts
>
>and named.hosts looks like:
>
>    $INCLUDE SOA
>
>    $INCLUDE        named-main.hosts
>    $INCLUDE        named-fifth.hosts
>    $INCLUDE        named-assist.hosts
>    $INCLUDE        named-admin.hosts
>    $INCLUDE        named-third.hosts
>    $INCLUDE        named-isdn.hosts
>    $INCLUDE        named-marketing.hosts
>    $INCLUDE        named-fourth.hosts
>
>where the individual "named-*.hosts" files contain a combination of A,
>MX and TXT records.
>
>On the machine running bind 9.1.3, the appropriate section of named.conf
>looks okay:
>
>    zone "zone_name" {
>            type slave;
>            file "file_name";
>            masters {
>                    IP_address_of_master_server;
>            };
>    };
>
>However, when I startup bind 9 on the machine, the zone information
>isn't transferred from the master.

What happens if you do:

dig zone_name axfr @master_server

If this fails, try:

dig zone_name soa @master_server

and check whether the "aa" flag is set in the response.  If not, then the
master server is having trouble loading the zone, and you should check the
log on the master server to see what the error is.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA