root(@) record help

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Tue Sep 18 19:15:35 UTC 2001

On Sep 18 2001 12:38 -0600, Brian Salomaki wrote:

> There area couple reasons why that last line is bad.  First, the @
> record
> cannot be a CNAME.

Wrong. There is no reason I can't say:

	$ORIGIN khemosabi.org.
	@ SOA varg.mcpoolen.se. hostmaster.khemosabi.org. (
		2001091500 7200 1800 1209600 900 )
	; Put NS, MX, A and whatever here
	$ORIGIN www
	@ CNAME varg.mcpoolen.se.

Which would be interpreted as:

	khemosabi.org. SOA varg.mcpoolen.se. hostmaster.khemosabi.org. (
		2001091500 7200 1800 1209600 900 )
	; Put NS, MX, A and whatever here
	www.khemosabi.org. CNAME varg.mcpoolen.se.

Perfectly legal. Perhaps clumsy, but not in any way in violation of
the RFCs.

It is the _zone_ that cannot be a CNAME, as it needs SOA and NS
records - the (in)famous "CNAME and other data" rule.

> Secondly, you already have an A record near the top
> for
> @, so you're just adding a second one.  Your zone should work just as
> you'd
> like with that line removed.
>
> The $TTL declaration is now necessary according to the RFCs, and its
> absence
> has finally become an error, rather than a warning, in Bind 9.

Already? I've seen several references to RFC 1034 and 1035, which both
dates back to November 1987 (yes, 1987!). Check your bind-9.*/doc/rfc
directory.

Michael Kjörling

- --
Michael Kjörling - michael at kjorling.com - PGP: 8A70E33E
Manager Wolf.COM -- Programmer -- Network Administrator
"We must be the change we wish to see" (Mahatma Gandhi)

^..^     Support the wolves in Norway -- go to     ^..^
 \/   http://home.no.net/ulvelist/protest_int.htm   \/

***** Please only send me emails which concern me *****