root(@) record help

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Sep 18 17:16:37 UTC 2001

In article <9o7ui6$s21 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Escario Julien <contact at asylog.net> wrote:
>I'm running BIND 8.2.2 for a few month and just want to have my adress
>asylog.net directed to ip 193.246.250.178
>
>Here's the complete db file (just if someone can say me why $ttl line is
>needed ..)
>What's wrong ? because when I restart bind I get the famous error : CNAME
>and other data. (but there's only a SOA and a CNAME records for @);

There's also NS and A records for @ in your db file below.

SOA is other data.  The same name can't have both a CNAME record and other
types of records.  Since the zone name *has* to have SOA and NS records,
logic dictates that you can't have the CNAME record as well.  Get rid of
it.

BTW, @ is not "root".  The root domain is ".".  @ is just a shorthand for
the current origin, which defaults to the zone name.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA