Help - I'm totally lost: setting up nameservers

gnudev at ozemail.com.au gnudev at ozemail.com.au
Sat Sep 15 17:43:28 UTC 2001

Hi,

Here is what I am trying to do. I don't know exactly if I am posting to the
right list, or whatever. I have searched the archives but don't really know
what I should search for.

OK, here are the tasks I need to do:

- I would like to setup ns0.mydomain.com and ns1.mydomain.com, the first one
which will be on a RedHat Linux 7.1 machine and the second on a Windows 2000
machine, being the primary and slave nameservers respectively
- I need to get mydomain.com resolved to my IP address and the reverse.
- I need to get the hostname www resolving to my primary nameserver machine,
i.e. the RH Linux 7.1 machine which will also be called ns0.
- I need to know how to setup subdomains on my mydomain.com machine. I want
them to all point to that same machine, the RH Linux 7.1 machine.
- I am setting up a webhosting business. I would like to be able to host my
customers' whatever.com domain names on my machine, (Windows 2000 machine
taken care of, it is point and click and done, but what of the Linux box?)
How do I add a customer's domain name to resolve to my Linux box? How do I
add their subdomains?

And so, can anyone tell me these things:

- What files do I need to create, where do I put them, and perhaps more
importantly what do I put in them?
- I want to be able to tell hosting customers to modify the DNS records for
their domain name(s) to point to my name servers, i.e. ns0.myname.com and
ns1.myname.com.

I hope I have explained this clearly. As I have indicated, I am totally
lost. I have asked these questions a zillion times but haven't had any
response telling me what to do. I think I might not be explaining properly
what I want to do.

Hope I can get some help.

Thanks in frustration!

James