dig results

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Sep 14 23:55:54 UTC 2001

In article <9nu54b$hsd at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Brad Knowles  <brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote:

>At 8:42 PM +0200 9/14/01, RJHM van den Bergh wrote:
>
>>  I did some dig query to look up a problem and got a reply that looks a
>>  little strange to me.
>>  It made me curious so here is the query
>>
>>  [root at jads /root]# dig www.chaletboisrond.tc.ca
>
>	You didn't specify what type of query this is, so by default I
>believe that dig will fill in with an "ANY".

The query is shown in the QUESTION SECTION of the output:

>>  ;; QUESTION SECTION:
>>  ;www.chaletboisrond.tc.ca.      IN      A

Looks like it defaults to A, not ANY.  If you use the -x option I think
some versions of dig default to ANY, while others default to PTR (the
latter makes more sense, and is consistent with the default of A for
forward queries, IMHO).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA