nslookup for W98?

Will Yardley william+dns at hq.newdream.net
Fri Sep 14 02:27:18 UTC 2001

Michael E. Hanson wrote:
> You understand it wrong.  Windows 98 will run any NT4.0 program that
> is not multi-threaded or tied to the HAL. nslookup has no reason to be
> multi-threaded or tied to the HAL, and the 4.9.7 version ran quite
> well under Win98.  I'm only suggesting that he try the current ISC
> BIND release for NT as it contains the same tools, and I'm speculating
> that they are most likely compiled in Win32 mode, as that's the
> easiest and most reliable way to port these tools.  I am NOT
> suggesting that the named/resolve services would run under Win98, but
> then he wasn't asking for that.

i stand corrected.  however the tools for which a link was sent to the
list have the following notice in the readme file:

        DNS Tools Kit Installation Information

  Unpack the kit into any convenient directory and run the tools.
  Note that libbind.dll should be in the same directory or the
  system32 directory to work.  It's preferable to keep them in the
  same directory as the tools.  The tools will NOT run on Win9x,
  only WinNT and Win2000.

so it would appear that the particular tools in question won't work on
9x.

i'm also having a few minor problems with the tools on a win2k box.

if anyone has any ideas, let me know... (i'm mainly doing it out of
curiosity). i put everything in c:\\WINNT\system32\ and i added
resolv.conf to c:\\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc as per the instructions.

it works, but only with ip addresses.  somehow it's not properly reading
the resolv.conf file (i put one in cygwin's  /etc/ too just in case)

no worries...

LAKE% pwd
/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32
LAKE% cat drivers/etc/resolv.conf
216.246.35.9
216.246.35.141

LAKE% dig dreamhost.com
; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> dreamhost.com
;; res_nsend to server default -- 0.0.0.0: Connection refused
LAKE% ls -al resolv.conf			system32/Drivers/etc
-rwxrwx---    1 Administ SYSTEM         28 Sep 13 19:00 resolv.conf*

Sintax error in config file! (line 378)
aborted!

GPG Public Key:
http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/