Clearing Cache In BIND 9.1

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Thu Sep 13 15:25:17 UTC 2001

If you really restarted named, then you did clear the cache!  So, this
isn't the problem.

You must be obtaining this information from some DNS server other than
the primary server.  Have you insured that all secondary servers have
also been updated? Did you increment the serial number such that the
secondaries know that the zone has been updated?  (This is very likely
your problem!) You may need to restart these secondaries after deleting
the zone file.  If your information is being obtained from cached DNS
data, then you will need to rely upon the expiration of the TTL for the
record, or have them restart named also (which is a major problem if you
don't control the server).

I am assuming that you are using nslookup to query for DNS information
(dig will also provide the same information, but in a much less confusing
manner).  What server are you querying?  Look at the output from
nslookup/dig to identify the server.  This is the server that you need to
insure that is updated, and as said earlier, if this is simply cached
information you may have to wait for the TTL to expire before the
information is reloaded, or if it is a slave server for the zone it isn't
being updated.

Now, if your "particular host's IP address" and DNS zone is publically
available and if your DNS server is publically available, if you would
identify them then many people could attempt to clarify your problem and
provide better answers than simply guesswork such as I did.  Please
attempt to be more forthcoming in providing information about your
problems in the future.

Bill Larson (wllarso at swcp.com)