internal-external-root

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Sep 12 20:14:18 UTC 2001

In article <9nocdq$h7j at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Charles Bodley <bodley at tflogic.com> wrote:
>Is it possibly to setup my internal name server in such a way that if it
>does not have an entry it will query my external and if the extrernal
>doesn't have an ntry it will then go to the root servers.
>
>As an example we have recently bought a domain but it is not yet in our
>control. Any machines that use the external servers get the info but any
>that use the internal cannot find the site. the query the internal then
>straight to the root. I would think this could be setup in the hints file
>but I do not know the correct syntax.

Use "forwarders".  The internal server should forward queries to the
external server.  The external server will use the hints file to work its
way down from the root.

>P.S. on a totally unrelated matter is there a limit as to how many cname you
>can use? we have one setup that goes through 4 cnames before getting to an
>IP. This is necessary I just wondered if there were an drawbacks.

It should generally work but it's not recommended.  Until all the CNAMEs
get into your cache, you have to perform multiple queries to get all the
information, and the client may time out before you're done.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA