Stupid Bind Behavior Question

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Sep 12 17:18:02 UTC 2001

In article <9no1kb$fi4 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Jonathan Bibeau <jbibeau at c-i-s.com> wrote:
>If I have a Bind9.x DNS server configured as a master for a domain, and
>another as the slave for the same domain, what would happen to the slave
>after the TTL expires and it cannot contact the master server for
>updates? Does is stop hosting that site information? Does it continue

Slaves don't care about the TTL, that's only used by caching servers.
Slaves use the Expire time.  If it can't contact the master for that period
of time, it stops hosting the domain.

>with the information it has and wait patiently for the master to return?

Earlier versions of BIND continued to host the domain, but stopped setting
the Authoritative Answer flag in their responses.  Some time around 4.9.5
or 8.x it was changed to stop answering for the domain entirely; it acts as
if it's not configured as a slave for the domain at all.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA