ipdaily

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Sep 12 17:15:32 UTC 2001

In article <9nnqm7$ee1 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Brad Knowles  <brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote:

>At 4:07 AM +0200 9/12/01, blaisetartaglione wrote:
>
>>  can i run a dns correctly if my ip change every 24 hours . Because french
>>  isp, every days you have a disconnection :-(
>
>	Nope, to be able to run a nameserver, you need to have a static IP address.
>
>	Otherwise, the machine that is your secondary nameserver would
>not know where to get a copy of the zone (they'd have to be
>constantly changing their /etc/named.conf file), and the parent
>nameservers would not know where to delegate the zone (and there's no
>way in *HELL* that they're going to make daily changes for you for
>something this stupid).

Delegation records point to hostnames, not IP addresses.  You could
delegate to a hostname administered by a dynamic DNS service.  As long as
the hostname isn't in the domain being delegated, the parent domain doesn't
need glue records.

Unfortunately, to simplify database administration, I think most registrars
require you to supply the IP address of each nameserver along with the
hostname.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA