Reverse lookup problem with 2 network classes

Pierre Girard pierreg at crt.umontreal.ca
Fri Sep 7 19:17:14 UTC 2001

Hello again,
	i wrote about this a little while ago and at the time i didn't
start named yet so i figured that it was just a warning i could ignore.

bash-2.03# ../sbin/named-checkzone 100.10.in-addr.arpa
dns_zone_load: zone 100.10.in-addr.arpa/IN: no NS records

crt0# nslookup flipper
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    flipper.crt.umontreal.ca
Address:  10.100.1.5

crt0# nslookup 10.100.1.5
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

*** localhost can't find 10.100.1.5: Server failed

So there's definitely a problem with my reverse map file, probably because
of that message that checkzone returns.

I looked in the log file with debug level 10 and i can't really find
any error, i figure the data just isn't read because there's no DNS
servers defined in the zone file.

Here's the content of my 100.10.in-addr.arpa file.

$TTL            3h
100.10.in-addr.arpa.    SOA     gate.crt.umontreal.ca.
hostmaster.crt.umontreal.ca. (
                        2001090709      ; Serial number
                                3h      ; Refresh
                                1h      ; Retry
                                1w      ; Expire
                                1h )    ; Negative TTL

;100.204.132.in-addr.arpa.      NS      gate.crt.umontreal.ca.
;100.204.132.in-addr.arpa.      NS      crt0.crt.umontreal.ca.
;100.204.132.in-addr.arpa.      NS      soft.crt.umontreal.ca.

5.1.100.10.in-addr.arpa.        PTR     flipper.crt.umontreal.ca.

As you can see i commented out our 3 name servers because they are not in
the same address space and i get another message about out of zone data
being ignored.

I started reading the bind book but so far the only thing i tought could
help fix the problem was the $ORIGIN or $INCLUDE commands but that fails
too.  Just before the nameservers i added:
$ORIGIN 100.204.132.in-addr.arpa.

and just before the other addresses i added
$ORIGIN 100.10.in-addr.arpa.

However i still get out of zone messages from checkzone.

Can anyone give me a clue what to look for?

Thanks.