How to do DNS for 2 Class C's?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Sep 5 19:41:05 UTC 2001

In article <9n5tkt$kpj at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Lisa Casey <lisa at jellico.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We were running out of address space, switched to another upstream provider,
>and now have two consecutive Class C's:  65.207.130 and 65.207.131

To be precise, those aren't class C's, they're subnets of a class A.

>I have one forward file (jellico.com.db) and two reverse files
>(130.207.65.in-addr.arpa and 131.207.65.in-addr.arpa
>
>Reverse resolution works fine because of the two reverse files but I can't
>do forward resolution on the 131 Class C because I really don't know how to
>handle it in a forward file. Do I need to create a separate forward file for
>it or can I just sort of "tack it on" to the bottom of my current forward
>file? In other words, once I get to 65.207.130.254 in my current forward
>file can I just start in with 65.207.131.1?

DB files are organized by the domain that they're defining names in.  The
addresses in a forward file can be in any network.

Consider that if you had your web site collocated at a web hosting service,
its address wouldn't be in either of your class address blocks.  But you
would still have

www IN A <some address>

in your forward zone file.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net