Slaving root zone?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Sep 5 17:39:44 UTC 2001

At 11:27 AM 9/5/01, Terrence Koeman wrote:

>Hello,
>

>I've just installed BIND 8.2.4-NT2 and I have the following problem:
>
>This is my named.conf:
>
>-------
>options
>{
>directory "c:\windows\system32\dns\etc";
>fetch-glue no;
>version "";
>use-id-pool yes;
>};
>
>logging
>{
>  channel my_file {file "c:/windows/system32/dns/etc/named.run"; severity
>debug; print-time yes; };
>  category default {my_file;};
>  category panic {my_file;};
>  category packet {my_file;};
>  category eventlib {my_file;};
>  category queries {my_file;};
>  category lame-servers { null;};
>  category cname { null;};
>};
>*/
>
>zone "." {type slave; file "db.root"; masters { 213.19.140.10; };};
>zone "mediamonks.net." {type slave; file "db.mm.net"; masters {
>213.19.140.10; };};
>-------
>
>For some reason named doesn't pass the dot '.' on to named-xfer.exe as the
>zone parameter, and thus, named-xfer.exe errors out and the zone is not
>retrieved. Running named-xfer.exe manually with . as zone succesfully
>retrieves the zone.
>
>The mediamonks.net zone is retrieved correctly. Is this a bug or am I doing
>something wrong?

You're doing something wrong.  The root zone is of type hint and has no masters.
The zone name "mediamonks.net" doesn't need the trailing period, there's an
ending comment "*/" at the end of the logging clause. You should be looking
at what named.run says as well as what's in the application event log for details
of what's wrong.

         Danny