Configuring stub zones

matthew.harding at hrdc-drhc.gc.ca matthew.harding at hrdc-drhc.gc.ca
Tue Sep 4 17:56:40 UTC 2001

Hello, I had a question about stub zones and their functionality.

I have authority for lab.companyname.com, and I have a Solaris 2.6 server
running 9.0 (or 8.x, doesn't bother me). What I would like to do is delegate
away just a single IP to another hardware load balancer, i.e.
www.lab.companyname.com. The other server responds with a different IP each
time, but is authoritative ONLY for that IP (i.e. there will never be other
IPs or subdomains in this www subdomain).

Is the correct way to do this using stub zones for that particular address
only? If so, what is the correct syntax? I have tried to get stub zones
working but without a clear example I don't know if I am achieving my goal.

If I do this for multiple instances (i.e. www.otherzone.companyname.com,
www.yetanotherzone.companyname.com), are there performance/scalability issues?

Please let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree! I would appreciate
working examples from people running this particular scenario.

Thanks!
Matthew