reverse lookup on non /24 delegation (part deux)

M. Yu myu at websprinter.net
Mon Sep 3 12:10:45 UTC 2001

Hello all,

I sent a post a few weeks back and got no reply.  Basically I've been given
a /25 block and reverse lookup has been delegated to our DNS server running
BIND8 with DDNS.  Since no one replied and I'm basically convinced that the
problem lies with the fact that BIND (or so the guys at DHCP said) was
sticking things into the zone file.  Specifically, it's sticking a "$ORIGIN
177.110.64.in-addr.arpa" in the zone file even though named.conf has been
configured with a zone "128/25.177.110.64.in-addr.arpa".

My question now is this, how can I stop BIND from sticking $ORIGIN in there
when DDNS is enabled or more generally, how can I stop BIND from sticking
things in there that I do not want.  BTW, I know BIND is responsible because
the zone file now contains ";BIND DUMP V8" on the first line of the zone
file.

Any ideas?

Thanks much,

M. Yu