to lookup and not to lookup?

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Sat Sep 1 18:12:37 UTC 2001

This is Microsoft's problem. Most likely your internal DNS server was
once unreachable, and then Windows resorts to *only* asking your ISP's
server, which does not know about and .cxm TLD (thankfully :)).

The easy fix is to only point your Windows clients at your internal
DNS server. The proper fix is to rewrite Microsoft's ugly DNS handling
code and settings phrasing - but that does not seem like any real
option.

Michael Kjörling

On Sep 1 2001 09:46 -0000, MarLoweSoft wrote:

> Hi
> I'm not shure if the following problem is purly a win2k fault or a Bind
> problem.
>
> I setup Bind 8 on my RH7.1 server with a dummy domain .cxm
> for the fist day my Win2kPro machine could resolve local dns address from my
> dns server but after that it stoped resolving addr and would only resolve
> proper www addys.
> a couple of days later it started working again for one day and then stoped.
>
> It was sujested that i upgrade to Bind 9.1.3 on my RH box but this didn't
> solve the problem either.
>
> I just connected up another RH box and found it could resolve addys without
> any problem.
> the DNS servers setup in both the Win2k machine and in my secound RH box
> where as follows:-
> Pri DNS my.local.dns.servers.ip.addr
> Sec DNS my.isps.pri.name.server.ip.addr
>
> I changed my Win2k machine to only use my local dns server and hey presto it
> resolves local and www addys without any problem.
>
> Is this a fould with my Win2kPro box or have i mucked up my RH Bind setup?
>
> Yours
>
> Matt

- --
Michael Kjörling - michael at kjorling.com - PGP: 8A70E33E
Manager Wolf.COM -- Programmer -- Network Administrator
"We must be the change we wish to see" (Mahatma Gandhi)

^..^     Support the wolves in Norway -- go to     ^..^
 \/   http://home.no.net/ulvelist/protest_int.htm   \/

***** Please only send me emails which concern me *****