nslookup response ???

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Sat Sep 1 10:40:05 UTC 2001

On Aug 31 2001 19:23 -0400, Bill wrote:

> Thank You Michael,
>
> Pardon me for starting at the top. I'd like to work my down here, offering up
> what I know, if you would be good enough to add your insight or correct my
> inaccuracies. Thanks in advance.
>

> Michael Kjorling wrote:
>
> > > ;; QUESTION SECTION:
>
> Does the following line indicate sarahwoody.com is a nameserver? {It is not
> supposed to be though, there is a soon (yeah, right) to be nameserver
> (ns1.bicity.net) noted later in the information you sent me.}
> Both nsi and opensrs show the primary nameserver for sarahwoody.com to be
> bertha.mysp.net.
>
> > > ;sarahwoody.com.                        IN      NS

No, this line indicates that I was asking about sarahwoody.com's name
servers. Mind the semicolon at the beginning - it is a comment line.

> Below are two nameservers which actually exist and one which is a figment of my
> imagination. Ns1.thepurist.org exists and was recently hosting for me
> (including sarahwoody.com). Ns1.bicity.net will be my secondary nameserver at
> some point. Bertha.mysp.net is the current primary nameserver for
> sarahwoody.com (which does not resolve) and for several others which do resolve
> correctly.
> I should point out there has been some intense activity in the past 24 hours to
> repair our dns files.

Good, because they are obviously broken, at least in the delegation
part.

> The following Bluestar.net servers are history. Older primary & secondary.

Then ensure that you take them out of the zone data. Other people's
servers get mighty confused otherwise, as the data you are serving is
considered to be more current than whatever the delegating zones
(e.g., the gTLD servers) are serving.

> In rereading, I have taken a great deal of your time in looking at this.
> Thank You,
> Bill Woody
> (Sarah is my daughter.)

Not a problem for me - but finding this many errors in one single zone
was a first for me. It usually is like one or two, but you made quite
a bunch of them.

Just make sure you get the delegation straitened out and ensure that
all servers are responding with the same information, and you should
be OK as far as what I have pointed out goes.

Michael Kjörling

- --
Michael Kjörling - michael at kjorling.com - PGP: 8A70E33E
Manager Wolf.COM -- Programmer -- Network Administrator
"We must be the change we wish to see" (Mahatma Gandhi)

^..^     Support the wolves in Norway -- go to     ^..^
 \/   http://home.no.net/ulvelist/protest_int.htm   \/

***** Please only send me emails which concern me *****