Bind Version Upgrade

David Frank david at datachannel.com
Wed Oct 31 22:44:17 UTC 2001

Greetings,

We are currently running Bind 8.2.3. on Solaris 7 and 8 on our DNS servers.
I am still fairly new to the Unix OS and have only built 4 Bind DNS servers.
What is the best recommended way to upgrade your version of bind? For
instance if I untar the src directory over the top of the current src
directory and install from there, am I asking for trouble? Should I delete
the current src directory and install from a different location?

I have upgraded one of our backup DNS boxes by untarring(sp*) over the
current directory and installing from there and I seem to have no problems.
It seems like I should have maybe deleted the old src directory and then
untar'd and installed Bind from there. In any case any advice you can offer
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

David Frank