procedure to make DNS server authoritative

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Oct 30 19:21:26 UTC 2001

In article <9rmluk$rk0 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Maksym Moyseyenko <max_moyseyenko at ukrpost.net> wrote:
>My domain is registered through register.com. Their name servers are
>used now as authoritative and primary NS for my domain.
>1) What is the procedure to get rid of using their name servers and to
>start using the DNS server at my site as authoritative and primary NS
>for my domain?

There should be a form on their web site for changing the nameservers of a
domain you own.  You'll first need to register the hostnames and addresses
of your servers.

>2) As far as my company is going to supply ASP services so what is
>more common over the Internet - to use registrar's name server either
>to use company's name server as primary?

I think most hosting companies run their own primary DNS server.  And they
either run their own secondary server as well, or make use of their ISP to
provide secondary DNS.  I think most of the domains that registrars host
are for small companies, private individuals, or domains that are parked
until the owner gets their server set up.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA