"Immoral" MX records hosted by easydns.com

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Oct 29 15:26:38 UTC 2001

In article <9rfjnb$qsk at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Mark Jeftovic <markjr at myprivacy.ca> wrote:
>Any domains using us for primary DNS wuldn't be able to do this, as we
>would flag it as an error an make them correct it. This domain uses
>us for secondary DNS and in those cases we simply load what the master
>gives us.

I have a script that goes through all the zones we do secondary DNS for and
greps for common misconfigurations.  We catch MX/NS records that point to
IP addresses, NS/PTR records in reverse domains where the admin forgot to
put the "." at the end (I look for hostnames ending in .in-addr.arpa),
expire times that are too short (Microsoft DNS has a nasty 1-day default
expire time) and refresh times that are too long.  When a zone shows up in
the report we notify the customer and nag them until they fix it.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA