home.com didn't resolve for 29+ hrs??

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Oct 25 21:18:40 UTC 2001

In article <9r9u79$264 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
baywood <baywood at nopambigfoot.com> wrote:

>In article <9r7cqi$ifp at pub3.rc.vix.com>, "Kevin Darcy"
><kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>
>> It's a little hard to troubleshoot a "domain doesn't resolve" problem
>> when you haven't really provided any details on how your local DNS
>> server is configured, particularly how it is set up to resolve Internet
>> names.
>
>I did ask "Why couldn't the root DNSs answer home.com queries?" and I did
>show that an @home DNS server could answer home.com queries. What I
>didn't mention was that I purposly sent other queries to the root servers
>and its only the home.com query that the root servers couldn't answer (for
>29+ hrs). FWIW the querys were from a registered host DNS.

You never actually showed sending a query to a root server.  The failed dig
that you showed didn't have any @<server-ip> in it.  So what you showed was
that your caching server couldn't answer home.com queries.  This could be
due to problems on one or more root servers, or maybe one of the home.com
servers was broken (it only takes one broken server, if that's the one your
caching server happens to select).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA