Caching only name server

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Oct 24 14:35:49 UTC 2001

In article <9r57u8$4vn at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Craig Bumpstead  <cbumpste at mail.austasia.net> wrote:
>I need to understand how caching name servers work and how to test them.
>Are you able to point me to any information that may may help me??
>The documentation that is included did not provide a lot of help. I also
>have the book "DNS and BIND 3rd edition. It has all of about 2 pages on
>caching name servers.

This is because there's really not much to say about caching name servers.
To configure it you just have to have a valid root hints zone or use the
"forwarders" option.  To test it, send a query for a name in a domain that
the server isn't authoritative (i.e. master or slave) for.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA