Quick nameserver/domain transfer question

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Tue Oct 23 19:48:01 UTC 2001

>Can someone tell me, if i want to use this server do i need to register this
>servers IP address as a nameserver

register the hostname and ip address with the registrar of the domain
underwhich the hostname exists, requires that you have authority over the
domain.

>  with an organization

registrar for the namerserver host's domain

>  so when i choose to
>transfer the domain from the isp's servers to mine it all goes smoothly or
>is this not necessary ??

It's necessary.

Most registrars require two NS + A records for domain.

>Also is there anyway of checking the configuration of my DNS server, to see
>if when i choose to transfer the domain from my ISP that it will work??

man dig

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K