Propagate new slave

Ralph Brown php4u at pacbell.net
Fri Oct 19 19:29:05 UTC 2001

Thanks..seems like I'm close to making this happen  :)

I corrected the missing "." at the end of the names.

>A third problem is that all your A records point to private IP addresses.
> How is someone from outside your network supposed to access your mail/web
> server when it has a 192.168.x.x address?  If you have NAT, you need to put
> the public address in your DNS.
...........I am not sure where to put my static IP#. I have included my
named.conf and zone files. The IP number of my web/mail server is
192.168.xxx.xxx. My DSL line static ip is 66.120.4.162. Do I need to change
my server IP# to that of my static IP, or can I set up a zone file with the
static IP#, and point web servers, or ?

Ralph
# named.conf - configuration for bind
#
# Generated automatically by bindconf, alchemist et al.

options {
        directory "/var/named/";
};

## do I need to add a zone with my external static ip here??

zone  "." {
        type hint;
        file  "named.ca";
};

zone  "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file  "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.zone";
};
zone  "123.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file  "123.168.192.in-addr.arpa.zone";
};

zone  "localhost" {
        type master;
        file  "localhost.zone";
};
zone  "policing.net" {
        type master;
        file  "policing.net.zone";
};

123.168.192.in addr.apra.zone file:

$TTL 86400
@       IN      SOA     @       root.localhost (
                        3 ; serial
                        28800 ; refresh
                        7200 ; retry
                        604800 ; expire
                        86400 ; ttk
                        )

@       IN      NS      www.policing.net.

197     IN      PTR     g4.policing.net.

Policing.net.zone file:

$TTL 86400
@       IN      SOA     @  root.localhost (
                        2 ; serial
                        28800 ; refresh
                        7200 ; retry
                        604800 ; expire
                        86400 ; ttl
                        )

@       IN      NS      www.policing.net.
www     IN      NS      www.policing.net.

www     IN      MX      1       mail.policing.net.
g4      IN      MX      1       mail.policing.net.
@       IN      MX      1       mail.policing.net.

www     IN      A       192.168.123.139  #should I add the static IP here?
g4      IN      A       192.168.123.197