Secondary DNS Problem (?)

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Oct 19 17:23:51 UTC 2001

In article <9qpjjd$6sv at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Chris Cameron  <chris at upnix.org> wrote:

>Hope someone here is able to help with a little problem I have. I'm a
>bit new to DNS (halfway through DNS and BIND), so I appologize if I've
>overlooked something large.
>
>I've recently tried to change the DNS servers of a domain (upnix.com).
>After a week of nothing happening I talked to a guy and Verisign who
>didn't speak the clearest english. What he was saying (that I could
>understand) was that my secondary IP pointed to my primary. This makes
>little sense to me, and he probably meant something other than what I
>was hearing.

I'm not sure what it means, either.  As far as the registry is concerned,
the difference between primary and secondary is irrelevant.

>My DNS setup consists of two OpenBSD machine (2.9 and 3.0-beta). Both
>run BIND 4.9.8-REL.
>dns.upnix.net
>207.153.6.66
>dns2.upnix.net
>24.64.80.251
>
>Those servers currently only look after two domains. upnix.net iteself,
>and a .co.uk domain. Neither have had any problem in using those dns
>servers.

Those are the servers that are currently registered, and the registration
hasn't changed in over a month.  What have you been trying to change to?

>If someone would be able to tell me if there's anything obviously wrong
>It'd be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't be surprised if the secondary
>had a problem as it's just an @home address, but I can't figure out what
>could be special about that address that could prevent DNS from working
>right.

I just did a few quick checks and it looks fine to me.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA