Rndc.Conf Syntax

Godfried Duodu GDUODU at dot.state.tx.us
Wed Oct 17 18:46:13 UTC 2001

I have already generated the keys for the servers and was looking for help on rndc.conf and named.conf syntax for multiple keys and servers. Thanks in advance for any help and lead.

Godfried Duodu wrote:

> I would appreciate if someone will post a sample config file for rndc
> for controlling multiple nameservers.  I did create different keys for
> each server but placing them in the rndc.conf and named.conf files is
> generating error messages. Thanks in advance.

you can use the rndc-confgen utility if your version of bind has it.
it's that simple.  if not, use this one (but generate a new key :P)

you take the first part and put it in /etc/rndc.conf
uncomment the second bit and put it in /etc/named.conf

that's all.

jazz% rndc-confgen
# Start of rndc.conf
key "rndc-key" {
        algorithm hmac-md5;
        secret "ck8kikay4Rdp7rNRsOF8rQ==";
};

options {
        default-key "rndc-key";
        default-server 127.0.0.1;
        default-port 953;
};
# End of rndc.conf

# Use with the following in named.conf, adjusting the allow list as needed:
# key "rndc-key" {
#       algorithm hmac-md5;
#       secret "ck8kikay4Rdp7rNRsOF8rQ==";
# };
#
# controls {
#       inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
#               allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "rndc-key"; };
# };
# End of named.conf

--
GPG Public Key: