why bind 9 not suported by using gcc to compile in Solaris

Will Yardley william+dns at hq.newdream.net
Tue Oct 16 20:38:18 UTC 2001

Brian Salomaki wrote:

> I don't have a whole lot of experience with this, but I'd assume
> it's not supported because it doesn't work. If gcc on that platform
> were implemented properly, then the program would probably be
> supported and compile correctly. I've heard some stories where
> people have successfully compiled using gcc, but you should most
> likely just use the compiler provided with solaris.

according to bind developers (check the archive) it should work just
fine (and does for many folk)... it just isn't officially supported.
perhaps the developers could give more specific answers (or check the
archives).

i haven't done this myself so your mileage may vary.

GPG Public Key:
http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/