Host not in any zone?

Will Yardley william+dns at hq.newdream.net
Mon Oct 15 21:10:23 UTC 2001

no mail wrote:

> I have an administrator here who says that on her previous job they
> were able to ping hosts by DNS name, and that the DNS name took the
> form of "servername" without any zone or domain info on the end. Is
> this possible with DNS, and if so, how? I can do this with a hosts
> file, but can't seem to find a way to do it with DNS.

 this has to do with the resolver on the client's computer and not with
the DNS server itself.  on a *nix machine the search path is in
/etc/resolv.conf ; in windoze this is in the TCP-IP settings box i
believe.  i'm not sure but i don't think DHCP can define more than one
search domain (newer versions may be able to do this more easily).

so if my search path is:
hq.newdream.net newdream.net dreamhost.com

unqualified hostnames are checked against this search path in order
(with the first match taking precedence).

GPG Public Key:
http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/