Distinct Mailservers for Subdomains?

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Mon Oct 15 16:29:02 UTC 2001

First of all what you have created below isn't a subdomain, but a
host. A subdomain involves delegation, even if that delegation goes to
the same name servers.

Second, what's the problem? Just set up an MX record pointing to an
appropriate host, perhaps like so:

> subdomain A 205.x.x.x
>           MX 10 mail.subdomain
> mail.subdomain A 205.x.x.x

Of course you can name it whatever you like, however it has to refer
to a hostname and not an IP address.

Michael Kjörling

On Oct 15 2001 12:21 -0400, Cameron Turner wrote:

> ; Additional Sub Domains
> dev               IN A     66.38.175.234
> subdomain         IN A     205.X.X.X
>

> What I need to do is setup another mail server entry (MX entry) for
> "subdomain", so that user at subdomain.mydomain.ca will be routed to 205.X.X.Y
> instead of 66.38.175.235.
>
> The user who owns subdomain does NOT want to manage a DNS server, but does
> want to manage a private mail server.
>
> Thus any mail sent to a user at mydomain.ca would be sent on to my mail server
> at 66.38.175.235 where it would get handled and delivered, but for mail
> sent to user at subdomain.mydomain.ca it would be sent on to 205.X.X.Y for
> processing.
>
> I could probably figure out a hack with my email server, but there are
> going to be HUNDREDS of subdomains that will need this capability, each
> handling their own mail (and web), but not DNS.
>
> Thanks for any solutions/help/suggestions/pointers to FAQs you might have,
>
> Cam

- --
Michael Kjörling  --  Programmer/Network administrator  ^..^
PGP: 95f1 074d 336d f8f0 f297 6a5b 2aa3 7bfd 8a70 e33e   \/
Internet: michael at kjorling.com -- FidoNet: 2:204/254.4

"There is something to be said about not trying to be glamorous
and popular and cool. Just be real -- and life will be real."
(Joyce Sequichie Hifler, September 13 2001)