Fault tolerance [Was: Re: (no subject)]

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Mon Oct 15 11:52:20 UTC 2001

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 12:18:39PM +0530, Vikas Bali wrote:
> Thanks for urs reply.
>
> Fault Tolerance , i mean is that if i am running more than one server and if
> one of my server fails/Not Responding then i want the control to be shifted
> to another server without users knowledge.No fault to be displayed to the
> user.
>
> I Hope U got me.
>
> Vikas

Yes, but you did NOT respond to the mailing list / newsgroup, as I had
requested.

What you describe is more often called failover, and is an inherent
part of DNS, independent of which implementation you use.  This is why
you should have two or three name servers on different networks in
different geographical locations.

BIND, of course, supports this.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao