tcp/udp, clarification please

Brian Salomaki brian at gambitdesign.com
Thu Oct 11 19:58:00 UTC 2001

TCP traffice *needs* to go through the firewall to the internet, not just to
the other nameserver.  If a client/resolver anywhere on the internet queries
your server, and gets a truncated response, then it will retry the query
using TCP.  If TCP isn't enabled, then that client will not be able to
properly resolve names hosted by your server.  In practice, if you're doing
very small-scale DNS, then you may not run into this issue, but if you are
intent on blocking TCP traffic, you're not going to find people particularly
eager to help you if you ever have problems.  Our stance is that TCP is
enabled, period.  There's no good reason to disable it, but there are many
good reasons to leave it enabled.  The most we can do is tell you to enable
TCP, and we've already done that more times than we probably should have.  If
you don't enable it, then I suppose that's your problem; we're not going to
break into your firewall and try to open up TCP traffic on port 53.

--
Brian Salomaki
Gambit Design Internet Services