Bind 8.2.3, query-restart on expired NS and A record

Patrick R. McManus mcmanus at appliedtheory.com
Thu Oct 11 02:45:31 UTC 2001

[Mark_Andrews at isc.org: Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 09:17:56AM +1000]

> 	The problem is you have very small TTL on the NS record and
> 	as BIND 4 and BIND 8 don't have query restart the record
> 	is timing out before the second query comes in.
>
> 	5 minutes would be stable.

if the TTL of the NS and its corresponding A is 1 minute it will
happen on the first query that occurs 1+ minute after they were
written to the cache.

if the TTL is 5 minutes it will happen on the first query that
occurs 5+ minutes after they were written to the cache..

same with 1 hour ttls.

I've monitored all those cases.

it will happen anytime the NS and A record that it refers to are
simultaneously stale. it doesn't matter how many times they've been used.

It happens because on the update of the NS, the additional record
doesn't get written to cache (or used to respond to the current
request) because the stale A isn't known to be stale and bind doesn't
update ttls.

I really just want to document it for the archives at this point: I
didn't think query restarts could be triggered on zones using all "in
baliwick" delegations and including appropos additional records.

-P