Intermittent DNS Domain Issues

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Oct 10 17:30:16 UTC 2001

In article <9q1nam$ln7 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
 <pelln at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu.invalid> wrote:
>No _sane_ DNS admin would place all nameservers at the same spot on earth !!

Unfortunately, by your definition there are *many* insane DNS
administrators.  Many organizations either are not aware that their ISP
offers secondary DNS, or if the ISP charges extra for it they've decided
not to pay for it.  Others probably figure that if their network goes down
then none of their servers will be accessible, so DNS isn't an issue: if
you can't get to the web server, does it really matter whether you can look
up its address?

I wouldn't go as far as "insane"; perhaps foolish, misinformed, or ignorant
would be better.

BTW, our servers all have 4.2.49.x addresses, but we use routing tricks to
locate them in different cities.  The only thing they share is our
nationwide backbone, and if that fails catastrophically then DNS is the
least of the problems of our customers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA