[Q] BIND secondary on RedHat 7.1

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 10 10:38:13 UTC 2001

Homer the Prairie Dog wrote:

> I do have full internet activity
>
> What I am still looking for an answer to is why my secondary RedHat nameserver
> won't answer any queries from any machine.

Using "forward first;", when "forward only;" is required can
cause intermittent failure to resolve, horrid to spot, try
"forward only;" for a bit if the next bit doesn't help.

> >> nameserver 192.168.1.2
> >> nameserver 65.24.0.166
> >> nameserver 65.24.0.167

You said that the server 192.168.1.2 served internal only
domains, I'm guessing that 65.24.0.16[6|7] don't serve those
internal domain. Thus this configuration is broken, as you are
listing servers with different views of the DNS in resolv.conf.

65.24.0.167 will return spurious answers for
1.168.192.in-addr.arpa - this is probably  what Bill Manning was
trying to complaining about as he is delegated
1.168.192.in-addr.arpa (Although he didn't make himself very
clear).

You said this is a secondary DNS, so I suggest you put both
local DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf, assuming the other one
provides recursive lookup of the Internet.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768