Moving Primary DNS from HP to SUN

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Tue Oct 9 16:52:46 UTC 2001

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 05:32:01PM +0900, Rahul Parasnis wrote:
> Currect setup :-)
> We have Internal dns Server ( who forwards only internet queries to
> Forwarder  running Bind 8.2.2 p5)  running bind 4.9.7 on HP 10.20.
>
> There are 3 secondary server also running same bind version on HP 10.20 .
>
> In order to move the Primary DNS from hp 10.20 Bind 4.9.7 to Solaris 8 Bind
> 8.2.2P5 now I am setting up new DNS Server on Ultra 5 (with 3 Network Cards
> in it) running  Solaris 8 which comes with Bind 8.2.2P5 . So as to give easy
> access to clients in each of three subnets .
>
> Question 1
> What will be the right path of direction towards this migration ?
>
> Question 2
> Is it ok to run Primary on Bind 8.2.2p5 on Solaris 8 and secondaries on
> 4.9.7 on HP 10.20  ( I know it's possible and ofcourse I am not using any
> extra funcionalities like select forwarding )  ?
>
> To setup the Bind on Solaris 8 , ofcourse I am going to keep the same IP
> address of old Primary to the New one on Solaris 8 .
> Very silly third question .. Can I have two Primaries running at the same
> time having different IP addreses  ?
>
> Because I can setup another primary using IP Address of  different subnet to
> one of the three ethernet cards leaving one ethernet card unconfigured ,
> which will take the real Primary DNS IP later on .

Everything about your proposal looks fine, except that the version of
BIND 8 that you are proposing to use is old and has known vulnerabili-
ties.  Please go to the ISC BIND Web and get a copy of the current
stable BIND 9 release (which should be 9.2.0 by the time you get this,
I hope), or of BIND 8 if you would really prefer that.

Remember to read the document specifying some of the differences
between BIND 4 and BIND 8, and BIND 8 and BIND 9.  There are some
differences that should be minor, unless you have been using some
illegal constructs that are now being enforced against.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B