BIND 8 forwarding question

Lemman, Paul paul_lemman at mentorg.com
Mon Oct 8 19:16:51 UTC 2001

I'd thought about just making the mentorg.com zone declaration a stub zone as you suggest.  The problem is that the site is connected to our internal roots via a VPN.  If the VPN goes down, I don't want the forwarder to then ask the Internet roots which winds up pulling data from our external view (we run a split horizon DNS) servers.  These machines will return some RNAT addresses which would then be cached when the VPN comes back up and cause problems.

It sounds like what you're suggesting would work since even if the VPN goes down, the forwarder would just be unable to talk to the internal root nameservers and return a failure.

Thanks,

paul

paul lemman                                       V: 503.685.1554
IT Computer Services                           www.mentor.com
Mentor Graphics Corporation