TTL question

Sasso, John IT JSasso at mvphealthcare.com
Mon Oct 8 15:17:51 UTC 2001

Since upgrading to BIND 9.1.3 from 8.1.2, we noticed that named failed to
load the db.* zone files because neither an explicit $TTL was defined in
them nor was a TTL defined for the host records.  Thus, the nameserver could
not resolve queries.  Once we put a $TTL statement at the top of each db.*
file and did a reload, the nameserver started to response OK.

I take it that a TTL now must be explicitly defined?  I heard within this
list that (in an RFC????) the meaning between the TTL in the SOA record and
the TTL explicitly defined (a la $TTL) changed in BIND 9.x.  Correct me if
I'm wrong, but the TTL in the SOA record refers to the negative caching of
records, whereas the $TTL refers to the "regular" caching of names (i.e.
non-negative cache).

Any clarification on these matters, incl. changes in RFCs w.r.t. TTL, would
be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

--john