ixfr problem

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Thu Oct 4 18:37:43 UTC 2001

> Win2k servers on remote subnets are set up to point to their local slave
DNS
> server first then the master server second.  The domain controllers update
their
> records every 20 minutes or so (we plan to decrease the frequency).  When
they
> send their updates, they go to the slave, which forwards the update to the
> master.  The master updates immediately, the slave appears to get updated
within
> 30 minutes.  IXFR is involved because we're just using IXFR, rather than
the
> full AXFR to update the slaves.

You sure about that?  The Windows 2000 dynamic update routines send their
updates to the name server listed in the MNAME field of the SOA record of
the zone they need to update, not to the first name server listed in their
resolver's
configuration.  Moreover, BIND 8.2.3 doesn't support update forwarding at
all.
That was first supported by BIND 9.1.0.

cricket

Men & Mice