Migration of domains

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Oct 2 17:59:23 UTC 2001

In article <9pctmc$mik at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Snezhkov, Dimitry <Dimitry.Snezhkov at pepsiamericas.com> wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I have a strategic question:
>I am looking for any tips on how to migrate DomainA to DomainB less
>painfully.
>Right now my name server is a slave for DomainA and a primary for DomainB.
>DomainB and A are not related.
>Is there a way for the master of DomainA to assume responsibility for
>DomainB and manage both DomainA and DomainB
>at the same time, gradually migrating DomainB entries into DomainA . What's
>the common way of doing way?

The simplest way is to just change the line "type slave" to "type master"
and remove the "masters { ...};" line, and similarly changing the old
master to a slave.  The zone file that the slave writes is usable as a
master zone file, so once you do this you can just start editing that file.

There's no "gradual migration" possible (at least, not easily).  A server
is either master or slave for a zone, not anything in between.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA