Help with Domain Registration

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Nov 30 15:51:30 UTC 2001

Harold Pritchett <harold at uga.edu> wrote:

>This is not strictly a BIND issue, but I'm hoping for some
>insight into my problem.
>
>Our campus bookstore has set up an e-commerce site, using
>the domain names ugabookstore.com, ugabookstore.org, and
>ugabookstore.net.  All of these domains are registered with
>networksolutions.  The .net and .org domains work fine.
>The .com domain doesn't work.  If you check the registrar,
>you find that it looks fine.

Harold, here is the output of doc:

     britaine% doc -x -v ugabookstore.com
     Doc-2.1.4: doc -x -v ugabookstore.com
     Doc-2.1.4: Starting test of ugabookstore.com.   parent is com.
     Doc-2.1.4: Test date - Fri Nov 30 09:29:54 CST 2001
     soa @a.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2001113000
     soa @b.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2001113000
     soa @c.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2001113000
     soa @d.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2001112901
     soa @e.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2001112901
     soa @f.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2001113000
     soa @g.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2001113000
     soa @h.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2001113000
     soa @i.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2001113000
     soa @j.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2001112901
     soa @k.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2001113000
     soa @l.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2001112901
     soa @m.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2001112901
     WARNING: Found 2 unique SOA serial #'s for com.
     Found 2 NS and 0 glue records for ugabookstore.com. @a.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 0 glue records for ugabookstore.com. @b.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 0 glue records for ugabookstore.com. @c.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 0 NS and 0 glue records for ugabookstore.com. @d.gtld-servers.net. (AUTH)
     Found 0 NS and 0 glue records for ugabookstore.com. @e.gtld-servers.net. (AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 0 glue records for ugabookstore.com. @f.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 0 glue records for ugabookstore.com. @g.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 0 glue records for ugabookstore.com. @h.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 0 glue records for ugabookstore.com. @i.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 0 NS and 0 glue records for ugabookstore.com. @j.gtld-servers.net. (AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 0 glue records for ugabookstore.com. @k.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 0 NS and 0 glue records for ugabookstore.com. @l.gtld-servers.net. (AUTH)
     Found 0 NS and 0 glue records for ugabookstore.com. @m.gtld-servers.net. (AUTH)
     DNServers for com.
        === 5 were also authoritatve for ugabookstore.com.
        === 8 were non-authoritative for ugabookstore.com.
     Servers for com. that are also authoritative for ugabookstore.com.
        === agree on NS records for ugabookstore.com.
     Servers for com. (not also authoritative for ugabookstore.com.)
        === agree on NS records for ugabookstore.com.
     ERROR: NS list for ugabookstore.com. from parent servers differ
        ===  authoritative disagree with those not AUTH for ugabookstore.com.
     *** ugabookstore.com..ns.a.gtld-servers.net.    Fri Nov 30 09:29:59 2001
     --- ugabookstore.com..ns.d.gtld-servers.net.    Fri Nov 30 09:30:00 2001
     ***************
     *** 1,2 ****
     - dns1.uga.edu.
     - dns2.uga.edu.
     --- 0 ----
     WARNING: d.gtld-servers.net. claims authoritative for ugabookstore.com.
        == but no NS record at parent zone
     WARNING: e.gtld-servers.net. claims authoritative for ugabookstore.com.
        == but no NS record at parent zone
     WARNING: j.gtld-servers.net. claims authoritative for ugabookstore.com.
        == but no NS record at parent zone
     WARNING: l.gtld-servers.net. claims authoritative for ugabookstore.com.
        == but no NS record at parent zone
     WARNING: m.gtld-servers.net. claims authoritative for ugabookstore.com.
        == but no NS record at parent zone
     NS list summary for ugabookstore.com. from parent (com.) servers
       == dns1.uga.edu. dns2.uga.edu.
     soa @dns1.uga.edu. for ugabookstore.com. serial: 2001072703
     soa @dns2.uga.edu. for ugabookstore.com. serial: 2001072703
     SOA serial #'s agree for ugabookstore.com.
     Authoritative domain (ugabookstore.com.) servers agree on NS for ugabookstore.com.
     ERROR: NS list from ugabookstore.com. authoritative servers does not
       === match NS list from parent (com.) servers
     NS list summary for ugabookstore.com. from authoritative servers
       == dns1.uga.edu. dns2.uga.edu. dns3.uga.edu.
     Checking 0 potential addresses for hosts at ugabookstore.com.
       ==
        WARNINGS issued for ugabookstore.com. (count: 6)
     Done testing ugabookstore.com.  Fri Nov 30 09:30:05 CST 2001

     britaine%

>Does anyone have any ideas about what we can do to get this
>fixed? I've never had much luck with the folks at NS, even
>back when they were internic.net.

If NSI does not give you satisfaction, can you move your registration
to another .com registry service?
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov