MS dynamic DNS supports static and dynamic entries in same zone?

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Nov 30 15:45:43 UTC 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 03:50:27PM +0300, Michael Kondrashin wrote:

> I have tried to setup static and dynamic addresses in one zone. Result was that BIND wrote updates into my static file.
>     If I want to create different zones for static and dynamic addresses what will be with reverce DNS (PTR recodrs)? Should I arrange different subnets for dynamic and static addresses?
>
> *.static.domain.com <-> 192.168.1.*
> *.ddns.domain.com <-> 192.168.2.*
>
> Am i right?
>
> Can I use ddns in different zones (so BIND wont mix my files), but one subnet?

As for the last question, you can place the static DNS in 192.168.1.*
and the dynamic in 192.168.2.*, per your example.  But you can not have
both static and dynamic in the 192.168.1.* zone, because there is no
way to sub-divide that subnet zone.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov