host statistics

FUSE cym at fuse.net
Fri Nov 30 14:33:49 UTC 2001

All,

   Does anyone have realistic or quasi-realistic models or numbers on what
kind of performance degradation I can expect to see if I turn on host
statistics for BIND 8 and 9 servers? These are production servers which are
currently handling approximately 500 to 600 queries/second.

The hardware is Sun Ultra 2, 2x300Mhz, 1GB physical memory. OS is Solaris
2.6. BIND versions are 8.2.2-P5, 9.1.3 and 9.2.0rc1.

The purpose for turning on host statistics would be to determine where some
new caching servers would be of the most benefit.

Regards,

Brian Tackett