Random Dns error!

Adam (Snowboard) adam at snowboard.com
Thu Nov 29 19:45:06 UTC 2001

I am receiving a DNS error on one of my big websites (snowboard.com). The error does not happen all the time. It seems to happen randomly throughout the day. It ussually happens in groups and takes about two to three minutes to clear up.

Here is a typical scenario:
1) I open my web browser to snowboard.com
2) The browser resolves the ip address correctly to 64.114.6.30
3) The browser tries to connect to the 64.114.6.30 and receives a dns error.
4) I try pinging the ip 64.114.6.30 and www.snowboard.com and they both work
5) I connect to another website that we serve and it works
6) I refresh the browser and get a few more dns erros, and then finally it works again.

NOTE: This only happens on the website snowboard.com. I have never seen this error before on any other websites we serve.

We are running BIND 8.2.4 on a winnt 4.00.1381. And our webserver is winnt 4.00.1381 with iis 4.0. If anyone one else has ever come across a similar problem I would like to hear about it. If anyone has any ideas as to what kinds of things I can look at please let me know.